eBook usage and download
All of the eBooks on Hammersmith Books are copy-protected using Adobe digital rights management (DRM), meaning you can’t just download and open them on your computer. Before you can access them, you will need to download and install the recommended eBook reader software for your chosen device. Once this is done you will be able to purchase or download your eBook from this site and read it on up to three different devices, for instance your smartphone, your laptop and your PC at home, by signing into your Adobe or BlueFire account.
Which format (i.e. PDF or ePUB) is better for me?
Before deciding on which eBook format is right for you (ie PDF or ePUB) you should be aware of the following:
- The PDF format will work fine on a desktop/laptop (PC or Mac) but not so well on a tablet and smartphone because the image will not automatically resize to fit the screen. This means (particularly on a smartphone) that you will have to scroll left and right to be able to see/read all the text – not ideal.
- Choosing the ePUB format will mean you get a reading experience optimised for the device you are using i.e. desktop/laptop, tablet and/or smartphone. That means no annoying left and right scrolling, text can be resized to suit your preference and the reading experience is also re-flowable.
- Whichever format you choose you will need to download appropriate e-reading software. This is quick and easy to do and once you have done it once you won’t need to do it again. Guidance on how to do this for a variety of e-reading packages is set out below.
- PLEASE NOTE: ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS is not the same as ADOBE READER. You need the former if you want to view either the PDF or the EPUB version of your eBook because these eBooks are encrypted. In other words they have digital rights management protection applied to them. This encryption prevents the reader from illegally sharing or reselling the ebook with another person but it also means the PDFs cannot now be read (like un-encrypted PDFs) using Adobe Reader.
What about reading on a Kindle?
The DRM system used by this site is not supported on Kindles, so you will not be able to read any eBook purchased from this site on a Kindle eReader. However, if you have a Kindle Fire tablet, the Adobe Digital Editions or Blufefire app can be installed allowing you to read eBooks form this site.
How to read your ebook
1. Download the recommended reader for your device
For Windows or Mac desktop/laptop computers
Please download Adobe Digital Editions
For guidance on installing and authorising Adobe Digital Editions, and how to download and read your eBooks, see our Help Videos section.
For iOS and Android smartphones and tablets
Please download BlueFire Reader for either Android or iOS
For guidance on installing Bluefire Reader and authorising your device with an Adobe ID, and how to download and read your eBooks, see our Help Videos section.
2. Create an Adobe ID and authorise your reader software
After downloading and installing the correct reader software, you then need to create an Adobe account ID here making sure you specify the the same email address you used to purchase your ebook.
Once you have done this, sign in to your reader software using your Adobe ID in order to authorise it. If you are asked for an ‘Ebook Vendor’ when authorising, please select ‘Adobe ID’ from the drop-down list.
3. Download your eBook
Log in to www.smith-dev.firstywork.co.uk, and in your My Account area click ‘View’ for the order with your ebook to go to the order detail. Then click on the Download link below the eBook title to download the license for the eBook. The license consists of a URLLINK.acsm file that you should open in your reader software, Adobe Digital Editions or BlueFire Reader. Your license will then be verified, and your eBook will be downloaded and open in your reader.
If you need more help, take a look at our FAQs page.